In the early 1950s, the provincial government had to correct the problem of overlapping jurisdictions between the municipal districts and school districts. Municipal boundaries were redrawn to include school districts. The existing local municipalities were dissolved in 1955 and amalgamated into the Municipal District of Calgary No. 44. The first meeting of the Municipal District of Calgary was held March 15, 1955. The eight Councillors were Osia Rosenberger, Alois Reumiller, Janus Wray, L.H. Bittle, James Robinson, Robin Echlin, Amos Joyce, and J. Lewis Bull as Reeve.
The name “Municipal District of Calgary No. 44” was unpopular and in December 1955, a contest was held among school children to rename the municipality. The winner, Mr. Leslie Burwash of Balzac, won $25 for his submission “Rocky View.” On January 1, 1956, the name “Municipal District of Rocky View No. 44” became official.
On July 7, 2009, the Municipal District of Rocky View No. 44 officially changed the name to Rocky View County. A new corporate logo and brand were launched in December of the same year.
262075 Rocky View Drive, Balzac, AB, Canada